Ngalaya Networking with the Hon Michael Kirby AC
On Thursday 27 February, Ngalaya hosted its first social event of 2020. First Nations lawyers and law students were invited to connect over drinks and canapes, featuring a keynote speech from the Honourable Michael Kirby, former Justice of the High Court of Australia.
The event was sponsored by MinterEllison, providing hosting and catering for the night.
Ngalaya’s Executive Director, Jason O’Neil, provided members with an update on Ngalaya’s work since its relaunch in April 2019. Including:
- sponsoring 2 students and a Ngalaya representative to attend NILC 2019 in Darwin;
- partnering with the Tenants’ Union of NSW (TU) to offer Ngalaya members access to TU training, and to offer ongoing mentoring and support to their Aboriginal Paralegal position;
- partnering with NSW Young Lawyers to access new opportunities and support for Ngalaya, and to host a joint networking event;
- providing one-on-one advice to 3 students going through the Clerkship application process;
- expanding Ngalaya membership to First Nations lawyers and law students in the ACT; and
- committing to host the National Indigenous Legal Conference in 2021.
Jason also outlined Ngalaya’s plans for expansion over 2020-21, including:
- expanding Ngalaya’s outreach across the state;
- launching Ngalaya sub-committees;
- recruiting more volunteers; and
- hosting regular social events, including an annual Ngalaya Dinner.